Arkansas State Crime Lab
Home / FAQs


Can my group tour your facility?
Unfortunately, tours of the facility are not available. The ASCL receives a significant number of cases that need to be processed, and we have to follow strict evidence handling guidelines. In addition to this, there are chemical and biohazard risks involved in some of the work done in the laboratory that we do not wish to expose to the public.

How do I get a job with the ASCL?
Please see our Careers section for general information about the education requirements of most analyst positions at the lab and a link to currently-open positions listed on the Arkansas state jobs website.

How do I request a death certificate?
When an examination has been performed by the Crime Lab, a certificate of death is issued with the deceased when they are released to the funeral home, unless the death was pronounced out of state. A death certificate serves to certify that a death has occurred, and even if it does not have a specific cause or manner of death listed initially (“Pending”), it is still considered an official document and is registered at the County Health Department and sent to the State Health Department, Bureau of Vital Records. Copies of the death certificate can be obtained by families either from the funeral home or by contacting Vital Records directly at (501) 661‑2336.

If the death certificate has been ruled “pending”, a supplemental death certificate will be issued when the Medical Examiner has made a final ruling as to the cause and/or manner of death. This supplemental death certificate is then mailed to the State Bureau of Vital Records in Little Rock. This may take weeks—or in some instances months—because of the complexity of the case, as well as necessary laboratory and investigative studies.

How do I obtain a Toxicology report for a fatality accident?
In order to release a copy of a Toxicology report, we need both a signed HIPAA release form and a letter of authorization from the Prosecuting Attorney’s office of the jurisdiction where the incident occurred.

The authorization of the Prosecutor is needed to release a report because the Arkansas State Crime Laboratory must comply with A.C.A. § 12-12-312, which requires the authorization of the Prosecutor with jurisdiction over the case, the Public Defender assigned to the case, or the direction of a court order.

The Prosecutor of the jurisdiction where the incident occurred can be identified at Please contact Meranda Martin in the Forensic Toxicology Section at (501) 683-6184 if you have additional questions.

Can you release evidence to me once it has been processed?
We are generally only allowed to release property to the law enforcement authority that submitted it to us for testing. Please contact the investigating law enforcement officials for their procedures.

How do I get to the ASCL?
Please go to map page

Is the State Police Headquarters still located in your building?
No. The State Police Headquarters moved to 1 State Police Plaza Drive, Little Rock, AR 72209 (Google map). Please visit their website ( for more information.

ASCL Logo (thick border, color) 120x96

Contact Information

Arkansas State Crime Laboratory
3 Natural Resources Drive
Little Rock, AR 72205
(501) 227-5747 | (501) 227-5936
Google Map | Contact Us